Tuesday, February 06, 2007

What The Hell Am I Doing?

I've had a couple people ask me what the heck I'm doing to be dropping weight like I am. The short answer is, simply, eating less and moving more. Of course, it's not as simple as that, and if it was we'd all have move star bodies and blogs like this wouldn't exist.

I've been thinking a lot lately about why this time is different for me. What changed in the past year that made this possible for me now when I had failed so many times before? After thinking for awhile I realize there are four things I keep in mind every day, that I never thought about too much before.

1. Break A Sweat Every Day. I work out way more now then I ever have before. I try my best to get to the gym 5 days a week, and work out at home one day on the weekends. Sometimes I really don't feel like going, but I do it anyway. Sometimes I feel like cutting it short, but I never do. Also, I'm using the weights as often as I'm doing cardio. I stretch out before and after. I stay hydrated and keep good music flowing on my Ipod. I eliminate as many distractions as I can and then do work.

2. Getting Over Myself. This may be the hardest thing that I have changed, but I've really learned to let go. Gym Fear has plagued me in the past, and was definitely a contributing factor in past gym experiences. Then, one day I just got over it. I worked out my hardest no matter what was going on around me at the gym. I've worked out in front of friends, friend's boyfriends, ex-crushes, family members, and class mates. As soon as I decided to not let what other people might think about me effect what I was doing, my gym visits became more enjoyable and more beneficial.

3. Water, Water, More Water. I'm told that we lose weight through fluids, and I have to believe that that is true. The more water you drink, the better things flow. Every time I drink water I think of it as a water slide for my fat to glide out on. Plus, my complexion is better then it's ever been.

4. Writing Down What I Eat. This is a discipline that I would encourage anyone to try and get in to. It's enlightening to see where your calories come from and to experiment with different kinds of food to create a menu that's filling and also healthy. I eat about 1200 calories a day and have found that over time I've adjusted to eating that amount and even on days that I don't calculate my calories before eating I usually end up around there anyway. I don't drink my calories, and I snack all the time. Maybe most important is that I eat what I want, so long as I account for it somewhere. If I'm going to have a big dinner I'll have a smaller lunch. If I want to indulge in a big breakfast I'll take it easy on my other meals. I believe that the quality of the food you eat will make or break your success.

So, that's what I'm doing. Just truckin' along, applying my principles, eating and sweating. This is what's been working for me...What works for you?

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At 9:23 PM , Blogger Cory said...

I'm going to have to try and start applying those factors to my life a bit more. I'm hoping to get a good 5days a week gym routine going, but we'll see how it works! Thanks you sharing!!!!

 
At 12:19 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are doing great! It sounds like you've got the right plan going. You know what you need to do and you are sticking to it. Nice job!

 
At 9:54 AM , Blogger Tigerlilly said...

Thanks for the wanderful tips! You are totally in the right mind set, that I have no doubt you will succeed in making this YOUR year!!! I am so proud of you!

 
At 11:42 AM , Blogger ~~Midnight Raider~~ said...

I like the "Getting Over Myself" part. It's a problem I have... being self-conscious. Wish I could adopt your healthy attitude about it!

 
At 3:33 PM , Blogger jeannie* said...

Awesome post! Thank you so much for sharing. You really are doing amazing!

 
At 3:40 PM , Blogger WeightWatchnWoman said...

So this is your secret??? I need to take some advice from it and implement it in my weight loss journey...how awesome!!!

Not a problem for the birthday wishes...you deserve it!

 
At 6:39 PM , Blogger i i eee said...

Great post! Rock it, sistah!

 
At 5:01 AM , Blogger dglenncasey said...

You have "discovered" the same secret a friend of mine did a few years ago. She was about 150 pounds overweight and did the "eat less and move more" thing, but it was the water that made this biggest difference. She stopped drinking everything including milk, soda (sometimes 6-7 a day), coffee, tea and everything else. She only drank water and drank a lot of it, sometimes a gallon during the course of a day. I didn't see her for about a year and half, but kept in touch by email and when I saw her again during a trip to California, I literally didn't recognize her. She was down about 130 pounds and almost finished with the goal of losing that 150. If she wasn't married to a friend of mine ... ;) So you rock on Meghan! Water is the "secret weapon."

 
At 9:00 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

...please where can I buy a unicorn?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home