Tuesday, February 20, 2007

#108 Group Challenge

Michelle has posed a new group challenge to give up something for 40 days in hopes of turning a bad habit into a good one. After reading the posed challenge I was dumb-founded. What can I possibly give up? I feel like I dedicate so much of myself to being healthy already that I was at a loss for something worth giving up.

I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I don't have too many horrible habits. Sure, I drink an occasional diet soda, once a week I have an alcoholic drink or two and occasionally I eat frozen yogurt. These are hardly things that it would be hard to give up for forty days because, well, they are the normal things in life that keep me from feeling like I'm on some insane diet.

So what am I going to give up? After thinking about it for awhile I realized the only thing right now that I really want to work harder at is getting more done in the day. I've decided for the next forty days I'll get up at 8:00 every morning. No more sleeping in until 10 every day, no more eating breakfast at 11:00 AM. I think this is totally doable and I'm actually kind of excited to see how I do. I used to be an early riser but my current schedule allows for copious amounts of lazy. Maybe with the extra time I'll even be able to step up my workouts!

The trouble I had thinking of something to change got me thinking about how much I've already given up. There's a conversation going on at sparkpeople about people's worst food confessions. Reading through them I could relate to almost every single one. My worst food was always starchy things like pizza and chips. Near the end of this past summer I would buy a bag of sour cream and onion ruffle chips (the big bag, you know, for a whole family)and eat the whole bag. Or buy an entire frozen pizza and challenge myself to eat the whole thing - really! It was like a contest with myself to see if I could eat it all and usually I'd get about 3/4 of the way through before I had to slow down for a bit to make some room. I always finished the whole thing. In the pizza eating contest, I was always the winner.

What are your worst food confessions? If you've given them up, do you miss them? What have you substituted for that food, if anything?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 5:40 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I do recall one time buying several packets of Tim Tams, ans I ate them as they 'kept me company' during several late night studying endeavours. Of course, our system in our house is to open a packet of biscuits and then put them in a jar - though in the past when an indulgent biscuit has been opened, the 'perpetrator' gets told off because they tempt everyone else in the house! To stop this from happening, I devoured three packets and disposed of the wrapping in a public rubbish bin. Oh dear! O_O

 
At 10:00 AM , Blogger Cory said...

Getting up early is a wonderful habit to start. And people say you sleep better if you exercise in the morning, so hopefully this will work out well for you.

As for food stories, the only real thing I can think of is that sometimes when I sit down to a really GOOD dinner I will eat until I'm sick. Then turn what was a good meal into a bad one because I get sick off it. I'm getting better about not eating so much though!

 
At 1:20 PM , Blogger ~~Midnight Raider~~ said...

I am a starch girl, too. I recall eating an entire pound of spaghetti (a DRY pound, enough for a family of 4). I cooked it, poured jarred tomato sauce over it, and ate the entire thing with three or four hunks of garlic bread. That was a low point in my life, when food was comfort.

I still eat spaghetti. I just don't eat an entire box of it! LOL

 
At 1:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Meghan,

I don't usually post to dieters' blogs, but I had to write and let you know what an AWESOME job you're doing-- your transformation in attitude alone from the beginning of this blog has been outstanding!

I'm a writer for CalorieLab.com, and I'm profiling your blog. It will post on Thursday.

Needing to lose a few pounds myself, I have to tell you that your words and your actions have been motivating, and I'm sure they are a motivator for others as well. Keep up the good work!

-Kimberly Sherman
CalorieLab Diet Blogs

 
At 4:07 PM , Blogger Robyn said...

My gosh girl, I'm SO WITH YOU on the frozen pizza thing. I could always make room for that entire pizza. Or a couple boxes of hot pockets. Or perhaps pizza AND breadsticks. Yowza. Anything involving red sauce, cheese, and bread I'm totally there.

You are doing awesome these days!

 
At 7:49 PM , Blogger WeightWatchnWoman said...

I am with you Meghan, I could eat pizza for days. I have eaten a whole pizza within 3 hours...I would eat 6 slices and then go back for the other 2 in 2-3 hours. It was sad. I could eat bags of chips without even thinking of stopping.

I need to stay away from them. Now that I am, I tend to want to eat crackers as a substitute...but lately I have substituted the chips for grapes...I will take that trade off.

 
At 4:45 PM , Blogger i i eee said...

Mmmm...pizza.

I think your getting up at 8 goal sounds great. I need to start doing that.

I have way too many food confessions. Wouldn't know where to begin. :)

 
At 5:08 AM , Blogger Roz said...

Oddly enough, bread. And I'm with you midnight rider on that pasta thing! I have done it myself too many times to count. Isn't it interesting that all of these things are carbs?

Anyways, I doubt if I will ever completely stop overeating pasta but I just make it something I eat only now and then anyways...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home