Monday, April 02, 2007

#120 Baby Got Back (196)

Weigh-In Monday and the scale is bouncing all over the place. I got several different numbers and after averaging them out landed on 196lbs for the week, which makes a 1.2 pound loss for the week. Not too shabby considering my spark has been a little dull these past few days.

My parents recently gave me some of my baby stuff. My first haircut hair, a few pieces of jewelry, and a calendar that my mom filled out during my first year. Most of it isn't that interest, things like "Rolled over!" or "Went to the beach with cousins!", but there was one that caught my eye. July 24th, 1986 I had a doctor's appointment and written under the doctor's name and time of appointment is one little word: "overweight".

Ironically, my mom also recorded a lot of what I was eating that year. The week before I was determined to be "overweight" I had beef, ice cream, and french toast with maple syrup for the first time. I guess it was all down hill from there.

It's hard for me to wrap my head around the idea of being overweight at five months old. When I pointed it out to my parents they laugh and then my dad said "If we'd known what was going to happen we would have put you on a diet right then." Would that have been the appropriate thing to do? Probably not. But that one word, right there in my baby calendar, pretty much summed up my physical state for the next twenty one years.

It also makes me realize what I'm up against. In trying to lose weight I'm working against everything my body has ever known. It sounds sort of strange, but it's like trying to start all over again from scratch. A physical re-birth if you will. I've got this blog and Fitday as my calendar this time around, and all over it are metaphorical stickers and notes: "First 1 mile run", "First time under the 200s", "First blister", "First muscle pain from lifting weights", "First attempt to eat responsibly". I can't wait to look back on this years from now and say "Yea, that was a good year."

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 10:54 AM , Blogger jeannie* said...

I hear you! I was BORN overweight: 12 pounds 2 ounces over here! And I've been that way ever since. This post really clicked with me when you said that youre going against everything your body has ever known. So true!

Anyway -- I think you will look back and see what a great year its been :)

And congrats on the loss!

 
At 10:48 AM , Blogger i i eee said...

A pretty good year indeed.

What an interesting thing to have, your calendar. It's pretty cool to have something like that from your past.

 
At 12:41 PM , Blogger Amber said...

Just thought I would come by and cheer you on since we are partners this month in the challenge!

You have done such an incredible job, keep it up!

Amber

 
At 2:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your success so far. You are my inspiration for the day!!! With your success I would invite you to consider becoming a weight loss and fitness coach with me and you can get the details at www.milliondollarbody.com/judifinneran and I am happy to answer any questions. Becoming a coach is at no cost until this Sunday Evening.

Cheers, Judi

 
At 5:23 PM , Blogger Tiffany said...

You are doing wonderful - now 57 pounds that is great. Don't worry about what your sister says you can have a piece of chocolate now and then especially since you used turkey, no sour cream and no cheese on your tacos - that is better than me I HAVE to have cheese on my tacos. We never use beef anymore all we eat is turkey and when we do use beef it is way too fatty for us (especially since I grew up eating beef). I am looking foward to the 2007 April Challenge.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home