Wednesday, April 18, 2007

#127 Life is Hard

Thank you all for your comments on my last frantic sob-story of a post. I've calmed down some since then and am trying to get a grip. Food was much better today and I'm trying to find better ways to deal with the current stress I'm under.

So, here's the deal.

  • Last week my apartment building was sold. The building had been owned by my family for about a billion years and when my great-grandmother died her kids (my grandmother included) decided they didn't want to deal with tenants and put the building up for sale. Then, without telling the tenants anything, the building changed ownership and the next thing I know my rent has been quadrupled and I have about 3 weeks to come up with a security deposite and next month's rent which is now more weekly then I was paying monthly. So, I've been trying to find a new apartment and it's becoming more and more clear to me that I just can't afford to live on my own anymore. With no roommate prospects in the very near future, my only option is to move back home. Which I will be doing some time in the next two weeks.

  • I have three weeks of school left before I graduate. With the end of the semester comes finals and all the big gross projects and it's really the last thing I have on my mind right now since I have to pack up my life and move with barely any notice. A professor of mine had asked me to take on this pretty huge project and now I'm feeling guilty about having to tell him I just don't have the time to take it on right now. I wish that I could do the project because it would be so awesome to have it for my portfolio, but I just can't wrap my head around something extra when I'm barely finishing up the normal curriculum.

  • I need a job. Desperately. My parents don't seem very stressed or worried about the face that I'm unemployed and basically living off of them, but it really doesn't sit well with me to be so dependent on them. The only thing I want in my life right now is some independence and now I have to move back into their house - the exact opposite of being independent as far as I'm concerned.

  • My sister and her husband are in the same boat I'm in. Strapped for cash and now looking for a new place to live with not nearly enough time to do it properly. They're looking for a house and while I wish them the very best and hope they find an awesome home, I am so incredibly sad that my sister is moving away from me. She is the person I call when I'm freaking out, the only person who will drop everything for me and show up with a bottle of wine and some laughs if it's what I need. I'm really having a hard time dealing with the thought of being so far away from her.

    The plan right now is to take things one day at a time. Tomorrow I'm going to go to the gym in the morning, then I'm going to come home and email my resume all over the damn place. After that I'm going to start going through my stuff and throwing out as much excess as possible.

    I promise this is the last whiney post I'm going to throw up here for awhile. Life kind of smacked me in the face this past week, but I'm trying to deal as best I can.

    Labels: , , ,

  • 7 Comments:

    At 8:57 AM , Blogger jeannie* said...

    Oh my goodness -- I know how stressful the last few weeks of the semester (especially as a senior) can be and I cannot imagine having to move back home in the middle of it!

    Even though you're not pumped about it, it sounds like youve got a good plan to just take things one day at a time and before you know it it will be summer. And if you dont have a job for a few weeks (or months) after graduation... try to enjoy it. As its probably the last time youll have that sort of time off!! (I know, easier said than done).

    Hang in there!

     
    At 9:06 AM , Blogger Cory said...

    It sounds as if you are doing well, and I certainly understand whining. I can't imagine having quite that much on me at once.

    Moving back home can certianly be stressful, but hopefully you'll have a job soon and it won't be too bad!

    Sorry to hear you won't be able to take on that project, but I'm sure it will be understood. You have a lot going on. No sense in making it worse than it has to be, especially with graduation right around the corner.

     
    At 9:21 AM , Blogger Fatinah said...

    Wow - you have a lot on your plate.
    As a parent though, I really think moving home for a bit is a really smart, mature decision. Being independant in part means making the tough decisions, and there is nothing easy about moving home with your parents. You need to look at it that way. This isn't forever, just for now. Taking things one day at a time, as you've planned is the best course of action. Have a GREAT day!

     
    At 4:28 AM , Blogger JOY said...

    Whine away - you have a lot on your plate at the moment.

    I agree with Fatinah take one day at a time and don't panic about things you have no control of.

    I know you want your independence and a place of your own but consider this to be a temporary situation until you get yourself on your feet.

    You will be just fine - I can feel it.

    Please feel free to whine again - we are here to listen and help!

     
    At 3:45 PM , Blogger ~~Midnight Raider~~ said...

    Yes... one step at a time is the way to approach it. It may seem overwhelming right now, but try and tackle each item in small, manageable portions. Funny how an approach to dieting can also be an approach to life!

     
    At 12:35 PM , Blogger WeightWatchnWoman said...

    You deserve to whine! It will get better and as much as you probably don't want to go back home, I think it is very mature on your part to realize that you have to right now. At least you have a plan.

    You will be fine. I am praying for the right fitting job to come your way this upcoming week. I am pulling for you.

     
    At 6:42 PM , Blogger Sha-Dizzle said...

    with a BA, you can come teach in korea! just sayin... :)

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home