Thursday, April 05, 2007

#122 Thursday Thirteen #1



Holy crap it really snowed last night. Snow day!

---

Saw this over at Cory'sblog and thought it might be a good thing to start doing each week. I'd like to try and take this blog a little beyond the fat and fitness at it's core and make it a little more personal. Without further ado:

THURSDAY THIRTEEN #1
Last Thirteen Movies I Watched


1. Phenomenon - Caught this movie on Bravo one night when they were doing a John Travolta marathon. I don't usually go for this kind of movie but it was cute and sort of sad so I got sucked in. I'll admit it, I got a little teary towards the end.

2. Fear - A young Reese Witherspoon dates basically the worst guy in the world who eventually ends up threatening her entire family. After watching the roller coaster scene I'll never be able to see the Witherspoon the same again.

3. Overnight Delivery - I'm a sucker for anything Paul Rudd (who pretty much embodies, physically, everything I want in a man) so I had to watch this when I spotted it on tv. Funny, but dated. A good fluff movie to kill some boredom.

4. 300 - 10% romance 10% story of bravery 80% partial nudity. A truly beautiful movie, not only for the hot men, but for the entire tone of the film. Marketed as a guy movie, but my girl friends and I really liked it.

5. Black Snake Moan - Crazy Indie flicks are my passion, so I was really excited to see this film. It was nice to see Morgan Freeman in something that wasn't completely lame (Snakes on a Plane anyone?) and Christina Ricci did a really great job with her role.

6. Clerks - I watched this movie a long time ago and thought it was really dumb and poorly made. Watching it now, a little older, a little wiser, I actually thought it was funny and could appreciate the sort of low budget dialog driven awesomeness of the movie.

7. Pan's Labyrinth - So pretty, so sad, so magical. A really wonderful movie that everyone should see.

8. What The #$*! Do We Know!? - One night in Spain, after four bottles of wine, my friends and I got into a really interesting discussion about quantum uncertainty and this film was recommended to me. It certainly makes you think about life and how much of what we do is up to us.

9. Leaving Las Vegas - I'm not much of a Nick Cage fan (except for the Weather Man, which I really liked) but I was surprised at how much I liked this movie. It was abrasive and upsetting, which, in my opinion, is usually a good quality in this kind of movie.

10. This Film is Not Yet Rated - A documentary about the rating systems set up by the MPAA and the secrecy surrounding the process of getting a film rated. Very interesting and made a lot of really great points about the faults in the rating system.

11. Enduring Love - I saw a preview for this somewhere and added it to my Netflix. It made it to the top of my queue without being bumped somehow and I was really surprised at how good it was. It's about fate and love and relationships and disasters and responsibility. Excellent acting, and a really intriguing story.

12. Valley of the Dolls - I'm told this movie and the book it's based on were a pretty big deal back in the day. The movie was campy and dramatic and good retro-pill-popping fun.

13. Half Nelson - Watched this late last night when I couldn't fall asleep. Ryan Gosling was nominated for - and won - the Best Actor Independent Spirit Award for his work in this and it was definitely deserved. His character is interesting to watch and his interactions with his co-star Shareeka Epps were hopeful and heartbreaking all at once. A great movie.

Labels:

9 Comments:

At 3:26 PM , Blogger Tiffany said...

Wow - I have always wanted to visit Maine but now I think I will wait until summer is really here. I live in Colorado and when I use to live in Crested Butte that type of snowfall would happen in April but now I live about 1,000 feet lower so we don't see that kind of snow in April. Does Maine have snowdays - were I live a snow day is unheard of. We received 8 feet of snow one year over a few days but we still had to go to work and the kids still went to school. Kids around here have no idea what a snow day is!! - boy are they missing out. Good luck with your April challenge.

 
At 7:21 PM , Blogger WeightWatchnWoman said...

Yes, we got snow also. How ugly was my face when I saw it this morning?

I like the 13 Thursday...very cool!!

 
At 9:47 PM , Blogger Carrie said...

Cool Thursday 13! Lots of snow!! Woah...enjoy it while it lasts...summer is on its way!!

 
At 11:28 AM , Blogger A Heathier Me said...

That is crazy about the snow! I dont know about you but I am so ready for summer to be here. Have a good weekend!!

 
At 11:30 AM , Blogger Amber said...

Wow how crazy about the snow and here I am complaining about our 50 degrees:) I have always heard maine was beautiful but I dont know if I can handle all that snow..haha!

 
At 1:35 PM , Blogger Robyn said...

aaaand now I have 5 more movies to add to my Netflix list :) THanks Meghan!

 
At 8:15 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am simply astounded that you could remember the last 13 movies you saw. I am trying to think right now of the last ONE I saw and can't....too many dead brain cells from too much wine.

Cheers,
Judi

 
At 4:37 PM , Blogger JOY said...

Gosh it really did snow didn't it!

Would you believe I haven't saw ANY of the movies! Think we are behind the times here in Ireland but at leaset I have something to look forward to.

 
At 8:37 AM , Blogger Michelle @ The 2007 Challenge said...

This is how God showed
His love among us: He sent
His one and only son
into the world ...
I John 4:9


May He who makes
the flowers grow,
and gives the sun
its golden glow ...

who gently guides
the birds in flight,
and lights the stars
that cheer the night ...

May He whose love
shines over us all,
and gives us blessings
great and small ...


May Christ, the risen
King of Kings,
fill all your days with
lifes good things.

Bless you at Easter
and Always.

Aloha,
Michelle
http://findingmahealanai.typepad.com

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home