Friday, November 24, 2006

A Few Points

  • Last night I hung out with some old friends, one of whom has lost approximately 60ish pounds in the last 2 years. I was stunned to see that although it was 11:00 at night, my friend was heating up leftovers from Thanksgiving and chowing down. She finished the container of leftover turned with a sigh and said "There. Now it won't be here tomorrow." I guess she lets herself pig out every once in awhile and it sort of shocked me. I know she's not doing the crazy fitness nut thing that I'm currently in to, but her blatant binge was sort of awkward for me. I don't really know how to talk to people about their weight, and it's too bad sometimes because I feel like this friend of mine and I could have a lot to say to each other, and could be really supportive if we chatted about it once in awhile.


  • I was so good at Thanksgiving yesterday. Not only in my food choices, but also in not being ashamed of my healthy choices, not being persuaded into eating things I didn't want, and not being embarassed that my family knows I've started jogging. I was sort of quiet at one point, watching the parade or the National Dog Show (I want a french terrier so bad now), and someone asked me what was wrong. My mom replies "She's hungry." Which I was, and my aunt goes "I'm not suprise she's hardly snacking at all!" This anti-snacking thing was really the biggest accomplishment of the day because that's where I tend to lose my mind. I was even seated next to some scallops wrapped in bacon and decided to let myself enjoy the aroma and pass up on the taste. I felt better for it. Also, I feel it should be noted that I was exhiled to the kiddy table this year as an involuntary baby-sitter and this will not be tolerated next year.


  • Maybe most importantly, I think my knee is a little, well, fucked. I guess the drwback of jogging when you're 240+ pounds is that all that weight is bouncing along on my fragile little knees and they're starting to rebel. My body has gone through a series of strange yet expected injuries since starting jogging a few weeks ago. I've had about 4 blister, all on the same foot, I've had cramps, I've had sore calves, sore thighs, sore shins, and now, sore knees. Today was the first day I really coneceeded to the pain and took it down a notch. I did a mile on the treadmill, with half of it being jogging, and then plomped down on the recumbent bike and pedaled five miles. I want to step it up, but I need to find exercise that's low impact on my knees before I hurt myself and end up moving backwards.


  • I have this dirty little habit that sneks up on me every so often: I'm a social smoker. When I can afford a pack of cigarettes I'll buy them, and then it's smoking for about 4 days until the pack is gone and I wait until I have another spare 5 dollars (there's no such thing) and get a new pack. I never smoke more than a pack a week, but still. Not neccesary. I really should just cut it out before I become a full-blown smoker. I guess you could say its pretty ridiculous to work as hard as I'm trying to work at the gym in the morning and spend the rest of the day puffing away. I'm working on it.


  • Note to self: you're not drinking enough water. Get on that.
  • Labels: , ,

    2 Comments:

    At 2:12 PM , Blogger Amy said...

    do you have good shoes? when i started walking all the time i thought i'd need shinplants but i got new sneaks and it's all over. it's worth the money to get good ones so your joints don't take more than they have to.

     
    At 12:05 AM , Blogger Sha-Dizzle said...

    girl, you are TUFF. it's so hard when family has to make stupid comments, but instead of using it as a reason to binge (as i sure would in a former life), you just did your thing. you're an inspiration!

     

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home